Monday, May 23, 2016

Outlook Chaced Mode Email Delay

Since Outlook 2010 I have been running in online mode to allow me to see "real-time" updates to AD Photos and GAL related items. so I was boggled when a coworker said that on occasion in outlook 2013 he would get new emails in batches. So I spun up a VM with 2013 at the same patch level as him and low and behold I noticed a delay from when the message hit my mailbox according to Outlook Web App & ActiveSync. Running Outlook 2016 on my primary client I to notice the issue when in cached mode. after digging through a very long TechNet thread, I found this article posted by Jeff Guillet over at his blog. his article provide some great insight as to how outlook behaves once it is notified of a new message when running in cached mode.

while this change outlined by Jeff will have a slight performance hit to your Exchange environment it may be help deal with users who notice the delay. when I applied the changes I was not as aggressive and set the values to 10.

Here is the registry Key for Outlook 2016

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode]
"Download"=dword:0000000a
"Upload"=dword:0000000a
"Maximum"=dword:0000000a


hope this helps, till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment